Departmental Bulletin Paper <研究ノート>朝鮮開化初期における被教育者の呼称について
Change of Vocabulary for Calling an Educatee in Modern Chosŏn-Korea
チョウセン カイカ ショキ ニオケル ヒキョウイクシャ ノ コショウ ニツイテ

桝谷, 祐一

(19)  , pp.129 - 147 , 2017-03
In 1881, Chosŏn-Korean government dispatched two delegations, Yŏngsŏnsa(領選使, Emissary dispatched to the Qing Dynasty) which sent to Qing Dynasty and Chosa Sich’altan(朝士視察団, Korean Courtiers’ Observation Mission to Japan in 1881) to Meiji Japan. As a result, The word Haksaeng(学生) from Qing and Saengdo( 生徒) from Japan were brought in. There is the possibility that Haksaeng, which means Educatee(被教育者, a recipient of education), was used as the title to call the educatee in Tongmunhak(同文学, School of Interpreters), the Institution for educating foreign language. However Haksaeng was not general in use as vocabulary. Saengdo settled in for a short time. From early 1886 Saengdo has vanished and Hakto(学徒) was used. In the same period Yugyŏng kongwon(育英公院, the Royal College) was established, and a educatee of Yugyŏng kongwon called oneself Hagwon(学員). That is why, in my argument, they wanted to distinguish themselves from Hakto through using differentiated vocabulary. By analyzing historical materials, I find the tendency: The word Haksaeng was used as the calling title of educatee of Qing or Japan nationality. Contrary to the above case, there was a tendency that educatee of Korean nationality was not called as Haksaeng. The change of the calling title of educatee went along with Korea’s effort to free them from the fetters of Qing’s intervene. I assume that the reason why Hakto or Hagwon was used as vocabulary for calling title of educatee is the expression for Korea’s identity which differ from Qing or Japan’s.

Number of accesses :  

Other information