Departmental Bulletin Paper ガンダーラ地方チャナカ・デリーの丘の歴史
The History of Chanaka Dheri in the Gandhara Region

内記, 理

90pp.276 - 243 , 2015-12-20 , 京都大學人文科學研究所
Chanaka Dheri is a site located in the Gandhara region (present Peshawar basin in Pakistan) excavated by Kyoto University from 1959 to 1967. Before these excavations, the site had long been regarded as the Buddhist site, "the temple of the white elephant" referred to by Song Yun, an envoy sent by the Northern Wei Dynasty in China. However, neither stupas nor Buddhist sculptures were found in these excavations. Then, what is this site ? By examining preliminary reports and by analyzing artefacts like pieces of pottery found in these excavations, plenty of information can be obtained regarding the history of the Gandhara region. In ancient times, there was a great building, which probably was a detached palace for rulers, and a large water tank, both of which were constructed with massive stones. These buildings were constructed before the latter half of the 1st century CE. Then, around 200 CE, when a huge earthquake occurred, they were completely destroyed and the mound abandoned. After the abandonment of the buildings, less powerful people started to live on the mound. This mound was used for residences even after the 9th century CE. By paying attention to the influence of the huge earthquake that occurred in 200 CE, it becomes possible to find an explanation for the changes that came about the material cultures in this region. 353

Number of accesses :  

Other information